Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day 82 On your mark....get set....

WAIT!!!  The OKC Memorial Marathon was SUPPOSED to start at 6:30am Sunday morning....also known as my sweet husband's birthday.  But it was also the day I've  trained for since Thanksgiving...the 1/2 marathon!!  Just before start time at 6:00am it was lightning...delay of game for 30 minutes....rain was still in the area....and was for THE ENTIRE RACE!! THE ENTIRE RACE I TELL YOU. My 13.1 miles were soggy and cold...to say the least.  Forget a very sore knee, but the shoes and hat (and everything in between) were cold and wet.

In fact, all 25,000 --yes 25,000 -- were wet and cold! Some ran the full marathon (26.2 miles), and I ran the 1/2 marathon (13.1).  This was my third time to run the 1/2...the two previous times were "BK" over 10 years ago...before kids.  So I thought I needed to do one more....now that I'm 40.  I think I'll take my three medals, frame them, and call it good.  It takes a lot of time, effort, and energy to train for one....and I could NOT have done it without the help of my mother and mother in law keeping the kids extra or from Dusty early in the mornings before school even at 5:00am and late afternoons when he'd rather rest too.

the view...of 25,000 people...it took me over 10 minutes to get the start line!!
Yes...to get to the start line!! CRAZY I tell you!!!

WET AND COLD BUT DONE!

Dry and getting warmer.

And this was the Scripture in a text that my sweet husband sent me...about mile 11 or so.  Thank you!!



1 Corinthians 9:24 NIV

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I hadn't heard this part of the story. That was good Dusty. Yea Shannan. You did soooo good...alll year. We're all very proud of you...very!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete