Thursday, March 5, 2009

Day 64

I love praise and worship music! I'm going to change some of the songs on my playlist on here today.  I'll see if I can find one of them that we sang last night at church.  Its a beautiful day!!!  I've got my sister in laws dog for the day....I had her bring him over to have a "playday" with Choco (our dog!).  They are outside wrestling and will wear each other out for a good hour at least!!!  

Chapter 14  Here we go....maintaining and keeping the holiness of God's name!  The children are affirmed in verse one of who and whose they are.  This chapter, like many others, are about how to live as a holy people.  What to eat and what not to eat.  This should all sound familiar, right?!  If they eat "unclean" things it is regarded as an infringement of the demand that Israel should be a holy people. Everything they did was to conform to the rules, laws, and commands about how to be holy and what makes you clean.   I don't know about you, but I don't need God to tell me that gazelle, antelope and sheep are not on my diet!   When it comes down to it, these are really just rules about hygiene....I mean, who wants to eat a vulture and carries and kills his own food and then you eat it too?! YICK!  

Chapter 15  This law about the 7th year is really a year for the poor people.  The sabbatical year, similiar to the Jubilee year (but it is every 50 years), is a year to cancel all debts.  My version uses the word "remission" of debts...that word literally means "letting fall"  and is even used in terms of the land and crops.  With the crops, they are to leave them uncultivated.  The law does not apply to a foreigner or alien who visits for business.  A neighbor is a fellow member of the covenant.  Not only are debts canceled, but slaves are to be freed...IF they want to go.  And if they do, they take an "awl and push it through his ear lobe into the door!"  WHAT?!!!  Now, I"ll tell you....I piereced my ears in 7th grade during BAND class while Lori Card used an actual earing to poke the hole with!!!!  I wasn't up against a door frame or anything....but it is not how Hannalee will pierce her ears!!!  The commentaries don't comment about the ear lobe to the door!! It just states that the male and female servants are to be treated equal!!  HUM!?  

Chapter 16 More festivals.  We've had these before.  Its all about sacred time, holy time, time for God, really!    This is how they are to pass time.....through their routines and their agriculture.  Each season is accompanied by a festival.  And it is all bound up in the power of the divine!

What season of life are you in right now?  What power are you finding in the divine? 

Tomorrow:  chapters 17-20

No comments:

Post a Comment